Nicknamellix

        Over the years, I’ve amassed a multitude of nicknames. I find myself feeling incomplete without them. Sometimes, the name Ellix simply isn’t enough, and I must ascend to become an amalgamation of nicknames and stories stuck together like grass burrs. My name doesn’t have any obvious nicknames to go with it, meaning my friends and I have had to be creative with what I’m called. So, join me as I select some fun nicknames from my extensive list and explain the stories behind them. 


Ellixshoes

Let’s take a long leap back to elementary school and the wild wonders of the school bus. Because my neighborhood was the last stop, a couple of us would be stuck on the bus for over an hour everyday after school. So, what does one do with that block of time? Do homework? Preposterous. No, we created a language, along with various bus-themed parodies of games we played in class. While the bus games were enjoyable, they’re not the source of the following nickname. Instead, we have to zero in on the language: OEL. Started by Leyla and me and joined by an old friend of ours (her name starts with an O), the “language” consisted of various English words shoved together with various meanings. I suppose it was more of an incomplete code. Regardless, for whatever reason we decided that all names had to have the suffix “shoes.” And thus, the nickname Ellixshoes was born. 


Potion

Jumping ahead to around subbie year, Leyla and I formed new nicknames. Ellixshoes and Leylashoes are vaguely retired at this point, though they still come up every now and then. In order to understand the following nickname, we have to look at my nickname for Leyla. As many of you know, Leyla’s last name is Cohen. Cohen became Co-hen, which became Co-chicken, and eventually just Chicken. Since my incredible nicknaming skills were already on display, Leyla put her hands together and came up with Potion. My email is ellixrs@gmail.com (hit me up). R and S are my middle and last initials, and end up creating something that sounds like elixirs. However, that’s too simple. What’s a synonym for elixir? Potion, you got it! Having these random words as nicknames often feels like another rendition of a secret “language.”


Elog

Before we get into the more mainstream nicknames, let’s take a look at Elog. A lot of my nicknames come from me calling other people random stuff and they end up feeling forced to come up with something for me (I know, such a lovely exchange). In this case, that person was Mengtong. After Japanese class, we often had short interactions where only a name was necessary. “Mengtong!” “Ellix!” That exchange was too long, though. The whole concept is to streamline these “conversations” to a point that they’re barely understandable or even exist. So, let’s go through this shortening process. What’s a shorter version of Mengtong? Tong. That still felt too long. The N haunted my brain for years (maybe a minute or two over the course of several days) until I thought of this pure work of genius: Tog. I know, incredible. But how would Mengtong give me a similar name? Ellix doesn’t shorten to such a beautiful equivalent. Don’t underestimate Tog. I’m not entirely sure how we arrived at this point, but I was soon known as Elog. That’s the beauty of nicknames, they just appear one day and never leave. Now our conversations consist of “Tog?!” “Elog!” I know, so much better.


Lix

Let’s move on to the Lix names. Most of these started because of my fabulous habit of putting literally any word or phrase in front of “lix” and calling it a day. There are rules though, do not fret! If the word ends in an E, you have to put two L’s so that the end actually says Ellix. However, if the word ends in any other letter, putting two L’s is too much work. Instead, just put “lix.” Now that we have the boring stuff out of the way, let’s showcase a couple examples of my genius. I’m in the mood for some strawberries? Nice to meet you, the name’s Strawberrylix. What if I suddenly solve a bunch of math problems? Who’s Strawberrylix? I’m mathlix. This process can be repeated an infinite amount of times, so I won’t bore you with an extensive list. Just know that while Ellix may seem like a name with no nicknames, I’ve forced my way into having a multitude of nicknames. I’ve won at nicknames.


Mx. Lix

When just a word followed by “lix” isn’t cutting it, we need to move on to the specialty lix’s. When I found myself sitting in the Uni refrigerators for a computer literacy project freshman year, I knew I needed an epic game show host name (that’s related to the fridge, I promise. I think it’s better left with no explanation, though). Everyone knows that game show names need a ring to them, they have to roll off the tongue. How would I come up with something so smooth? No need to fear, for Geniuslix was there! Introducing Mx. Lix, the game show host of the century. There’s really no other backstory to that one, I just use it now when I want to feel mysterious and important. 


Lixatron 3000

To wrap up this beautiful nickname summary, we unfortunately need to include the nicknames created by two of my freshman friends. They like creating fanfiction of their friends, and often make me some sort of superhero or just enigma of a human being. I don’t entirely understand their reasoning and I don’t think I ever will. However, since we’re talking about specialty lix’s, I need to mention Lixatron 3000. I have absolutely no idea what inspired this nickname, but I think it’s perfect for if I ever become a robot or a computer. Apparently Computerlix or Robotlix wouldn’t be good enough.

You don’t get a heading for this one. Read it yourself.

You might be thinking, Lixatron 3000 isn’t that bad. Why are you making these freshman-created nicknames seem like such an odd experience? Unfortunately, I have one final nickname for everyone still reading this monstrosity of a blog post: The Nonbinary Tongue. I believe this… creation was birthed from a set of emojis I sent to them ONE TIME. They like to latch onto everything I send them like little binder clips. Anyway, it’s time for your favorite event: my nickname process explanations (don’t worry, this is the last one)! If you think about it, my name is already just a word followed by “lix” (el lix). For those of you who don’t know, “el” translates to “he” in Spanish (don’t try to converse with me, I don’t speak Spanish). So, now we have Helix (a mattress company!). Now, convert that into emojis, and you end up with 👨👅. I have a bad habit of referring to myself in third person in the most convoluted ways possible, which led to me sending them those two emojis one fateful day. Immediately, I was knighted as The Nonbinary Tongue, a nonbinary superhero tongue saving the day one day at a time (I added that last part, I think it’s very creative). If you have more nickname suggestions, reach out to Nicknamellix Studios: why go by your actual name when you can make up stupid versions of it?


Comments

  1. Hi Ellix! I love that this blog post is as much about your friendships as it is about the nicknames you got from them. I like the way that you explain the moments behind the nicknames and illustrate why each one is meaningful. I don't have many nicknames for my friends, but after reading this post I might have to come up with some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find this inspiring because my name isn't very nickname-able and when I was younger, I thought it was so cool to have a nickname. My favorite nickname for you is Ellixshoes, because it's just so straight up. (I also read it as Ellix's-hoes first so) it was fun to read explanation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment